Friday, July 10, 2009

Bombastics Boredom

We have misters installed in our porch to make it more pleasant when we eat out there in the middle of the summer.

The problem is, in order to have an even coverage of mist, you need a lot of misters... which we have... but that means everything gets soaked in no time at all. After eating dinner a few nights ago in puddles of water, I decided we needed an automatic valve that turns the misters on for, say, 15 seconds and then turns them off for 30 seconds.

Since I didn't really have anything to do today, I decided to give it a go.

Here's a standard sprinkler valve that controls the misters:

...And here's the box that controls the valve:(I know, crooked labels... Man, Ben, you'd think you could get something right.)

Originally, I was going to make it smart enough to automatically vary the on/off time based on temperature, air movement, and humidity, but that was going to cost about $100, so I went with some dumb analog electronics. I haven't touched true analog for years, so it was... different. I love microcontrollers so much more. True I don't have a cool wireless remote with an LCD display, but it's functional and... well... it costs like $5 in parts :-)

4 comments:

Steven said...

Now, the big question.. will you be able to cover the cost of the parts with the savings from the water saved?

Ben&Brit said...

I don't think you understand the reason why I built it. I built it for the same reason you'd buy a sprinkler timer.

Steven said...

because you are lazy? :D

Ben&Brit said...

Sure. Why not.

At least I did something.