Monday, April 6, 2009

MEH! Vegas... AGAIN!

It was weird being in Vegas again. It kind of felt like home in a weird way. As most of you know, I'm on a field test at Parker Dam. We flew into Vegas and drove to Lake Havasu City, Arizona.

The people I travel with think it imperative that the radio make noise the entire time the car is running, so I got to listen to Delilah help people. (Some radio-talk-show, I guess... But what a name :-)

Anyway, I'm now in Parker, AZ, home of the original London Bridge. It's kind of strange to stay in a hotel in a desertous area and see the actual London Bridge out your back window, but whatever! I wonder what Oliver Twist would have thought about it being moved to the Arizona :-)
Parker Dam is rather small, but it still does have four units. The windings are only about 4' tall, so they're little baby units. Awww... Aren't they adorable?

There are a couple nice things about this field trip so far:
1) We get paid for travel, so the 8hrs it took us to get here counts as work time.
2) We get overtime, so we get paid for all 13hrs we worked today.
3) The Hampton Inn is in Per-Diem, so we get to stay in a nicer hotel than usual.
4) Last but not least, we ate at a small diner-type place. I ate a chicken burrito today. Big burrito... and it contained nothing but chicken. I've never eaten a chicken burrito... especially not for $3.50. Those little remote places seem to usually be pretty good and pretty cheap.
5) I ate at In and Out Burger for the first time. Great fast-food place that has a menu that could easily fit on a business card. They only sell burgers, fries, drinks, and shakes, but they're really good.
6) The fire alarm is chirping in my room. Whoo Hooo. I've decided I'm going to sleep right thought it, though.
7) There's only 2 Christian music stations and 3 Country stations out here, and Jill (one of the two people I'm out here with) can't stand Country, so I don't have to listen to Country for once! YAHOO!
8) We ate outside tonight. I basically worked inside a generator all day today, and we left the plant after the sun went down, so I kind of expected it to be cold. I wasn't expecting to see tons of people in swimming suits in the fast-food joint. (Water sports are huge out here.)
9) I'm running out of things.
10) I want to go to bed.

Sooo, until later, uh... have a great day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mouth's watering at the thought of "In and Out Burgers" - Jerry and I discovered it years ago in CA. They have them in Vegas too.
Have fun out there. Mrs. D.

Jowy H said...

"4)Last but not least..." Odd, it seems like you made yourself an out right there... but suddenly you just kept goin'!!! :D

I don't know what Oliver Twist would have though about it being moved to the Arizona. He probably wouldn't have cared too much about it being moved there... but I'm sure he would have been appalled to see it moved to Arizona. :D

Daniel L said...

Back in Vegas again??? Poor Ben.