Monday, December 1, 2008

Coulee -- Day 1

Man, that was a mistake. Don't ever say "Day 1" because that implies you'll be posting more.

There's not much to say:

1) The Spokane airport is bigger than I expected.
2) I don't like Ford SUVs. (Rental)
3) Grand Coulee Dam is about a mile long.
4) The power plants look pretty small until you go into the buildings. There's 3 power plant buildings and one pump building. We worked in the Left Powerhouse today and I was amazed at the size. I haven't gotten a tour yet, but from what I saw, it's pretty impressive. You know how the florescent lights look in Walmart? If you stand at one end of the store and look down the row, it looks really long? The Left Powerhouse looks longer than Walmart.
5) The security here is really tight. They grumbled about giving us unlimited access, including weekends. I just thought the person was grumpy... well, that's what I thought until I saw a guy patrolling the plant with a bullet-proof vest and assult rifle. Rumor has it they're training all plant personnel to carry heat. (Grand Coulee provides more power than any other plant in the U.S. 7GW), so wiping out Grand Coulee would blackout a good portion of the U.S. power grid.)
6) Although the city of Grand Coulee has around 1,000 residence, there's no cell phone reception to be had.
7) The city of Electric is close to the city of Grand Coulee.
8) There's a nice hotel here, especially for the size of the city.
9) I'm really tired and we're supposedly going to work a minimum of 12hrs tomorrow.
10) I'm going to bed.

8 comments:

Steven said...

Sweet! congratulations! I'm glad you made it!

So, how do you "carry heat?"

:P

Becka Travers said...

Wow! Cool!
Did Nate bring along a portable radio so he could treat you to some great country?!

"It sounds like a big place. We have a lot of Walmarts where I live.
Perhaps you should consider working full-time at a power plant. ;)"

BTW, the gerbies are missing you already. I asked them.

Sarcastic Sally said...

LOL Steve -- I was just about to ask that until I read your comment. Meh.

LOL Beck... ;)

Just mail him some gerbies.

Steven said...

DAY 2! DAY 2! {help me out everyone!}
Day 2! ...

Jowy H said...

Hey! Yeah!
"Coulee -- Day 1

Man, that was a mistake. Don't ever say "Day 1" because that implies you'll be posting more. "

By mentioning that you will have to post more you automatically are required to post a day 2!

DAY 2! DAY 2! DAY 2! DAY 2! DAY 2!

Ben&Brit said...

LOL -- Yeah. Ok, ok :-) You carry heat by getting a cool gun and going to the range. Once you burn a few rounds, the gun is hot. Carry the gun and you carry heat :-)

Yeah... The gerbils won't get any exercise now. No getting dropped and pouting because I told them "bad gerbil" after jumping.

As far as music, we've got our choice from one radio station! KEEY or something like that. They play "pops" music. Not to fun early in the morning. If only I'd brought a shotgun. (Pops as in mostly Country with a little misc. stuff mixed in here and there) Oh, on the AM band, we have some stations from Calgary. Didn't know we were so close to the border. I should look on a map. All I know right now is that I'm in Washington. I'm guessing we're on the Columbia river since the name of our hotel is "Columbia River Inn."

Sarcastic Sally said...

Is the Columbia River Inn as nice as the nearby Columbia River Out?

DAY 3!

Ben&Brit said...

KODOL!

Yeah, it's pretty nice. The people I'm with say, "Eh, it's ok." but I say it's better than Motel 6, so it's great! :-D