Monday, February 2, 2009

OOOH! GOOD!

The Great Googly Moogly has once again written some excellent material... His writing level and communication skills are really impressive. If only I could write this well...

Anyway, I really thought this excerpt was fabulous, so I hope he doesn't mind if I put it here:

"My goal is simply to give a general overview in order to help us better understand what has happened to us in Christ. I want us to begin to comprehend the transformation that has taken place in us with the coming of Christ so that we live into the freedom that is our inheritance as “sons of God”. If our mentality as Christians is that our “obedience” is something that we must now do in order to be pleasing to God (or as some would have it, in order to stay in relationship with God) rather than something that we must be (which is the work of the Spirit in us), then I’m afraid that we’ve simply renamed and redesigned the same yoke of the Pharisees that Jesus has freed us from.

Why do we insist on putting the yoke of the Pharisees on again? Because we still don’t fully believe the Gospel. Oh, we believe enough of it to be “saved”, but we effectively deny its power when we separate sanctification from the Gospel, when we live as though our sanctification is a work that we must do. Like the Pharisees, we simply refuse to listen to Moses (and the Law, the Prophets and the Writings) and believe! We don’t believe God, so we put the “yoke” of performance back on our shoulders and we trudge around day after day with our never-ending and never-completed checklists hoping against hope that we’ve done enough to please our Father today. Is this how Christ lived His life? Is this the life of Christ in us? Is this the “freedom” that has been granted to us in Christ?"

Make sure to read the full post at http://shalomistheword.blogspot.com/2009/02/how-are-we-to-live-part-2-fall.html

4 comments:

Great Googly Moogly! said...

Awe...thanks man! I appreciate the compliment and I'm glad that you have enjoyed some of my material. Abster just posted something that goes right along with where I'm going with this. I'd say that between the two of us, we're hitting a pretty sweet note--the "low" C, perhaps? :-)

Ben&Brit said...

Heh Heh :-)

Yeah, I read Abb's blog right before yours. It's kind of funny how everyone seems to be on the same subject right now :-)

Abbey said...

Believe me! I wasn't copying!

You've been one step ahead of me all night. I comment on a blog, and you always mangage to have pushed the "publish your comment" just a little before I. lol

I'm just feeling guilty that you've been gone for almost four weeks, and I've only commented on you blog...I think once. :S

BTW, who's the new follower? lol

Looking forward to this weekend. :)

Jowy H said...

Woah, I can feel the presence of thinking... I better just slowly back away from the keyboard... Yes, away......awa..........