Thursday, February 12, 2009

Zoo Zing

MEH! Forget the circuit board.

I can't seem to ever get anything done around here. Too much to do.

MEH! Another bus just parked outside my window. Last time a bus was here, it was a softball team staying at my hotel... as in a busload of giggly high school girls who loved to talk and giggle all night outside my door. Eh, whatever. Even though they needed a little consideration for people's desire to sleep, I'm sure they had a blast.

I keep forgetting to talk about Hoover. (I know... what's worse than forgetting to talk about myself?) It's a tremendous tourist trap. Do you know what that means? If you work in the Nevada-side power house, you get to be stared at. All the tourists stand up there, point, and stare. I need to put a sign up on the viewing level that says, "Please do not tap on glass." Seriously, you feel like you're in a lion cage or something. There's probably 50 people in each tour group and they stand up there and stare at you. You move and they start pointing. LOOK! It's MOVING! The plant employees are used to it, and act as though there's no one there, but I'm not quite used to it yet.

What's kind of funny is leaving work. To leave the dam, you have to take the dam elevators to the top where all the tourists are. The elevators empty out into a little concrete room with locked exterior doors. When you exit through the doors, you have to be sure to check to make sure the door closed all the way because without fail, a tourist immediately says something like, "Ooh! I wonder where that goes!" and goes over to try and open the door. It's getting downright funny because I dont' know if we've ever left without tourists trying to get in. Not like they could get anywhere if they did. All the elevators and doors require a key card. (I heard one employee calling the tourists, "tourons," a cross between "tourist" and "moron.")

The security isn't quite like Grand Coulee where there're people patrolling with assault rifles, but it's still surprisingly high. They still let employees bring their family and friends on tours, though, so that's nice.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should totally put that sign up on the glass! Like totally!

Next time you leave the dam, just act like you just escaped the hungry lion on the other side of the door. Maybe people won't be as anxious to go in...

Becka Travers said...

Oh, brother. That was me, by the way. I clicked the wrong thing.

Steven said...

SWEET! Can you wear T-Shirts that say funny things? You could wear one that said something to the effect of "I Hunt Tourists," or perhaps "Although sliding down the side of the dam is not suggested, it sure is fun."

Who knows. Hey, I should come down there so you can take me on a tour.
I'll ask you stupid questions and we can have a blast! :P

Jowy H said...

One day you should turn around really fast and scream at them, "WHAT ARE YOU LOOKIN' AT YOU LITTLE WHIPPERSNAPPERS!" and then pull out a gun, and shoot blanks at them... That'll teach 'em.

Ben&Brit said...

GOOD IDEA! :-)