Saturday, March 14, 2009

Particle Accelerator

I just remembered the first tests of that big particle accelerator should be complete by now:
I did a quick search and found I don't have a clue what any of it means... some detection of "a "double strange" Omega baryon."

After reading to find out what Omega baryons are, I decided I wasn't that interested.

"Omega (Ω) baryons are baryons containing neither up nor down quarks of isospin I = 0. The first Omega discovered was the Ω−, made of three strange quarks was discovered in 1964.[1]The discovery was a great triumph in the study of quark processes, since it was found only after its existence, mass, and decay products had already been predicted. Besides the Ω−, a charmed Omega particle (Ω0c) was discovered, in which a strange quark is replaced by a charm quark. The Ω− decays only via the weak interaction and has therefore a relatively long lifetime.[2] Spin (J) and parity (P) values for unobserved baryons are predicted by the quark model.[3]"

Who knows what that means!

3 comments:

Steven said...

Are you talking about the "Large Hadron Collider"?

I thought it was all about smashing atoms..


Is this something else?
http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSL846768920080910

Ben&Brit said...

Yuh... Yeah. I don't even know :-)

All I know is I suddenly wasn't very interested in it :-)

Jowy H said...

THE LARGE HADRON COLLIDER MUST BE STOPPED! Don't bother reading it... it was a lot funnier a few months ago... I heard it was supposed to find out what in an atom cause mass or something like that. Would I pay $5,000,000,000 to prove that a particle causes mass?... um... let me think for a minute...No.